Chapters

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Aroh needs help!

JOHN Aroh, a 32-year-old truck pusher, visited The
Guardian’s Rutam House, Isolo, Lagos offices on a Monday
morning, tears welling in his eyes. According to him, the
urgent need to provide for his triplet forced him out of his
abode as early as 5am to avoid traffic, achieve his mission
and still go back to his daily hustle. He lives at Okeafor,
Badagry Expressway.
His joy knew no bounds when his wife, Patricia, gave birth
to the triplets at the Badagry General Hospital on June 23
last year. Bu the joy is now short-lived. Due to the nature of
his job, Aroh finds it hard to provide for the basic needs of
the babies (two boys and one girl). And the little money he
gets from odd job is being exhausted on the welfare the
babies.
“Things are really rough and it is the grace of God and
people around that has helped my family and I so far,” he
cried out.
Aroh is an indigene of Ugwuaji Awkunanaw in Enugu State.
But after another indigene successfully convinced his
parents that he needed Aroh to serve under him, he headed
to Lagos. The man, according to Aroh, said he would set
him up after a period of time but that never happened. He
served his master who sells building materials at Coker,
Orile, Lagos for six years. He began in 2000 and got his
freedom in 2006.
“When I even told my Oga that my wife gave birth to triplets,
he only gave me N3, 000 to go take care of them. God
knows best but the only thing I think of now is to take good
care of my triplets because I want them to be useful in life,”
he said.
Although distraught, he says going back to the village is not
an option. “I now help people to carry loads with my truck
at Odun Ade, Orile popularly known as Coker. I dropped out
of secondary school because I had no one to pay my school
fees. I am the first son of my parents and I have four sisters
in the village too.”
He confessed that kind-hearted people have being generous
to the triplets, but things are still very rough. “I am jobless
and helpless; I really need help to take care of my triplets.”
In his effort to seek a way out, he visited Government House
in Enugu and attempted to get to the Lagos State
government but all proved abortive. His words: “The least I
got from the government officials was to get a good job but
I have really tried.”
In a letter addressed to the Governor of Enugu State,
Sullivan Chime in April this year, Aroh pleaded: “I and my
family are living at the mercy of kind-hearted individuals.
Even to buy baby foods for the triplets is very difficult. I am
therefore on behalf of my family appealing for your
interventions - materially, financially or in form of
employment.”
“It is not my joy to come out publicly to seek help but the
reality of watching my triplets go through pains, worries me
and I really desire to do something about that,” he added.
His wife, an orphan, sells pure water at Okeafor, Badagry
Expressway, Lagos.
“My wife sells pure water and she is doing the little she can
do to help the family. I met her in the village but we got
married in Lagos in 2003.”
Those willing to help Aroh can contact him on
08098457148 .

No comments:

Post a Comment